Saturday, August 18, 2012

Sewing First

I've created a few things with my sewing machine over the years, but never using a pattern. I've made a hair bow holder, sleeping bag, burp cloths, pillowcase dress, and baby blankets- but all by winging it, and never using precise measurements. Obviously I'm not a perfectionist, and sewing is a perfect example. I like to get things done- snip-snap, get it finished. I hate dilly dallying. I never have a future in quilting. The closest I ever came to sewing anything in a precise way was when I made a nursing cover at my seamstress/best friend Amy's house. She showed me how to do everything, and almost literally held my hand through every step. I wish she could move in with me. Or at least live in the same state.

Today, I made Brooke a skirt- and I actually used a pattern (download it here) and measured stuff. It's even reversible! It took me three times as long as it should have, and I"m sure that anyone who sews past a beginner level could probably tear my skills apart looking at it- but, I finished it, it fits her, and she loves it! I am so excited. She can't wait to wear it tomorrow.








2 comments: