Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Now that the shock of Lydia's food allergies has started to wear off, I've actually enjoyed trying out new recipes, and am excited to start cooking even healthier meals for the fam. I found a vegan (meaning no animal biproducts) chocolate chip cookie recipe that is fantastic. It doesn't use any butter, cow's milk, eggs, refined sugar, or trans-fat Crisco. Sound gross? I promise- they don't taste healthy, and they really do taste like real cookies! The recipe calls for 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour- but with both batches of cookies I made, I used all white flour. If you want the cookies to taste pretty much the same as a "real" chocolate chip cookie, you can substitute the maple syrup for granulated sugar- though I made the maple syrup version today, and my kids gobbled them up as if they were eating the full fat butter/Crisco version I used to make.

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups white flour (or 1 cup wheat, 1 cup white)
3/4 cup carob or dairy free/soy free chocolate chips *I swear you can't taste the difference!!*
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup vanilla rice milk (Rice Dream brand tastes pretty good)
1 Tbsp baking powder
Lightly grease baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.

With the first batch I made using the granulated sugar, the cookie batter consistency didn't seem much different than a regular batch- but when I used all maple syrup, as you can tell in the picture below, the batter was much thinner and runnier. This made oddly-shaped cookies, but they still tasted pretty good. I'd be excited to know if any of you decide to try out this recipe!


3 comments:

  1. I think it's neat that you are doing this for your family -- and having fun, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live at #15 Emerald, the redhead with the two boys. My younger son started out allergic to dairy, soy, tree nuts, red dye, and coffee...let me know if you need recipes! I have a whole folder for allergy-free recipes on my computer and I'd just need your email address to send them. I'm sure I have an unopened tub of Jungle Butter if you'd like to try it (palm and sunflower oil shortening), you can go to Pittsburgh to Whole Foods to get it or you can buy it by the case off Amazon. And we still make all our own breads because he's still allergic to soy, so if you want to come bake with me sometime, you and your whole crew are always welcome in my kitchen. I have to make wheat bread and cinnamon bread this week. I also have a to-die-for recipe for brownies from the WWII when they couldn't use butter/shortening due to rationing.

    (p.s. I'm not stalking you, but as the admin for the Byrnside Report, your comments come to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your response! I'll stop by and give you my email address.

    ReplyDelete