Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Speech is a Gift from God

Our new unit for the next two weeks is Speech and Language. I'm remembering again why I love Weaver, which is good timing. The last few days of unit one involved some burnout and second guessing of whether we chose the right material. I'm learning that this homeschooling thing- it's hard work. It's one thing to anticipate and talk about it for months on end, and a whole other thing to dig in and do it. So I guess it's safe to say that the honeymoon stage of homeschooling is over. There are problems that need worked out and frustrations being aired out. But, just like a good marriage, I'm realizing it's most definitely one of the best parenting decisions we've ever made. For one thing, there's no "one size fits all" education model I must follow. I can teach each child according to their own needs-  needs that I am figuring out more and more each school day. Brooke is awesome at science, a natural artist with perfect penmanship and beautiful cursive writing, and is working on reading comprehension. Madeline is a whiz at math and reading, moving along at lightening speed, but is easily frustrated when I challenge her because she's not used to making mistakes. Isaac is crazy good at math, and is becoming a reader before my eyes (so fun!), but he doesn't like buckling down and doing his worksheets, because "school is boring, playing is fun." Some of it is just part of life that he'll get used to soon enough.We do enough fun projects and experiments that half the time he doesn't even realize that he's learning. 

This Monday we learned that speech is a gift of God. The curriculum called for study of a foreign language in another country, and I chose Ghana. Our Compassion child is from Ghana, and I want them to learn more about his home. I had to laugh when I started researching and realized that English is their official language. There are several tribal languages though, so it all worked out for the curriculum correlation. We studied Ghana's political history, geography, economy, and wildlife. We talked about the day in the life of a Ghanian child, and practiced speaking a tribal language. They painted pictures of the Ghana flag, explaining what each color represented, and designed their own Kente cloth on cardstock. They then wrote letters and drew pictures for Japhate, our Compassion child

 Lydia coloring her African lion.

 Pretty girl. 

 Painting their flags.

 Red for the blood shed for their independence, yellow for their minerals including gold, green for their forests, and black star for freedom.

 Puppy begging for playtime.

 He's jealous of the kids and the attention I give them. It's kinda crazy.

 Designing Kente cloth.



 The princess playing on the computer before naptime.

 Isaac's lion.

 He's learning patterns in math this week.

On Tuesday we covered the anatomy and physiology of the ear, as well as sound waves. (They made a tin can phone but I forgot to take pictures.) We learned what absorbs and reflects sound, so of course they had to test it out in the foyer.


Today we looked at how immigration affects languages spoken in different regions of the US. We then learned about the deaf community and sign language. They wrote biographies on Helen Keller and practiced some sign language. By chance (or divine timing) this past Saturday, Brooke was able to meet and sign with an elderly couple who happened to be deaf. She hasn't stopped talking about meeting them, and how much fun it was to sign with them.
 Afternoon reading today.

 Have I mentioned homeschooling rocks? 


6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are having a good time homeschooling. I agree it is very interesting how different each child is. That is one of the reasons I make up each kids curriculums according to the child. Very excited you are settling in and still enjoying it. Hard work is more fun when you get enjoyment and blessing from it,,,,which is awesome when it comes to your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just ordered new grammar and spelling curriculum yesterday that will hopefully work better than what we have now. Glad for the flexibility, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a good time! I'm loving homeschooling too. It's not all rainbows and butterflies, but I love how individualized I can make things for Parker. We are flying through math at double time and taking our time with reading. It's just the best. I'm so thankful most days to be able to teach Park. It's fun to read about your schooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Not the easiest route, but I think it is the best. So glad we are doing this.

      Delete
  3. So glad I found your blog, I plan on using Weaver in a couple of years, we are currently doing Tot School and plan to add Before Five In A Row. Currently I am looking into math programs and was wondering what you use along side Weaver? Thanks Heather @ everydayforthem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed I didn't reply here- I can't remember if I answered this in my email, but we use Singapore math. It works well for the kids, and plan to use it again next year. :)

      Delete