Monday, September 30, 2013

Biltmore Estate Field Trip!


I have wanted to visit Biltmore Estate ever since I was in grade school and first heard that there was a real live castle in America. I was a kid obsessed with all things royal, and even though a real king or queen was never part of our country's history, this home came in at a close second. While lesson planning over the summer, I saw that we'd be covering the history of architecture- including castles and cathedrals- during Chapter Two of Weaver's Volume One. I had the fantastic opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. Although jetting across the Atlantic to see castles in Europe would have been amazing (and maybe completely unrealistic) I realized it was my chance to finally tour Biltmore. It could even count as an educational experience for homeschool. I mean, what could be better?! I brought up my plan to Bill, and he went for it. I could finally live out my fantasy of living the Downton Abbey life for a couple days! Sign me up for some of that. This is the girl that jumps on room service and valet parking at any given opportunity. I don't care who makes fun of me for it (Amy).

The trip was amazing. On day one we took the general two hour tour and walked around Antler Hill Village. We ate lunch inside the old stable, with tables inside former horse stalls. On day two we took a special architecture tour, and a whirlwind walk through the gorgeous gardens. Asthma and allergies kept us from staying too long in the gardens. I loved every single moment. (Except maybe during the general tour on day one when Lydia started yelling, "I haveta poop! I haveta poop!" over and over again on the grand staircase. No public restrooms inside the house itself, so there was lots of fast walking to the exit. Fun memories.) There's no photography allowed inside the house, so I only have pictures from the outside.
















 The architecture tour included the tippity top roof. I was trying very hard not to have a panic attack. Not joking.




 Lydia was loving the house. While holding hands with her daddy walking down the grand staircase, she declared, "I am a princess, and this is my castle." She kept asking us over and over if we liked her castle. That's my girl. 

 She was able to eat food cooked by the chef in Antler Village's restaurant! This is rarely ever possible with all of her allergies. She was super excited.

 Children's maze.

I know the history of this house inside and out, including the Vanderbilt's family history, but I am resisting the urge to spill everything I know in this blog post. I've been getting polite blank stares when I talk about it, so I'm guessing not everyone is as fascinated as me. Though Madeline was just as excited in the history, and is not shy to tell you all about it either. It was a really great learning experience, and I can't wait to visit again one day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment