Friday, September 6, 2013

Constants that Matter

We were low key in homeschooling today. We've had a lot of fun with all the hands-on activities over the past two weeks, but I'm afraid that burn-out might set in if I don't slow it down just a tad from time to time. So we focused on math, reading, and Bible study. 


For our first year of homeschooling, I chose to use Weaver from Alpha Omega Publications. It's a unit study using the Bible as a foundation for each day's lessons. Social studies, science, and language arts are woven into our daily Bible story. It's the main reason I chose this curriculum- I like the idea of a hands on unit study focused on God's Word. Even though there aren't textbooks with Weaver, we still use lots of books for our studies. I either buy online or borrow from the library. We read science and social studies' material as a family in the morning after Bible time, and then the girls are given reading assignments to complete on their own. Just two weeks into this material, and I can already tell this style is working for us. I'm figuring out that Madeline learns best by reading, and Brooke and Isaac are both kinesthetic learners.  With this type of unit study, I can tie in each of my children's learning styles- and because each subject intertwines, retention will likely be much higher. It may seem like we hop around topics compared to traditional methods, but by the end of the year they will have covered many topics in depth, while remembering the vast majority of material.

Even though today was relaxed and schedule free, I was feeling guilty. I worried about the fact we hadn't covered any social studies or science. Instead it was a laid back day with kids spread around the house reading books. We read our Bible story and casually talked about it, without any visual demonstration. We were snuggled together and bonding, but my fear crept up that it wasn't enough, that the day should have been more driven. Tonight I went to a monthly meeting for homeschool moms,  and heard messages that really spoke to me. One of the ladies spoke to the fear of "is it ever enough? Am I keeping up with everyone else?" While the world is constantly changing with gobs of new information, she recommended we find the constants and focus on them. Constants like God's Word, math, and reading. The other subjects will follow, but those three constants are the most important. I had to laugh inside because those were the exact same subjects that we covered today while I had been so hard on myself. I love how God gives me the exact message I need in perfect timing.

I start each day with the same prayer, aloud so my children hear it too- that God will guide my heart and my words. That He will teach through me what He wants my children to hear. Not my agenda, but His. Because if they leave the nest full of history and geography and science, but aren't equipped to make wise decisions, then I've failed them. I can only teach well if God's grace is living and moving in me. I'm the person who my children see the most, and who models Christ for them on a daily basis. I want them to feel and see my intense passion and love for Jesus, and to see that He is a God worth living for. If we spend a day reading our Bible together cuddled up on the couch and not open a single science book, it's ok. I'm teaching them something that won't ever be destroyed. We're back to a regular schedule tomorrow (that includes science!), but I'm glad I listened to God's voice this morning telling me to slow down and recharge.

Because this?


This is what matters, what moth and rust won't ever destroy.
By His grace alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment