Monday, May 24, 2010

Quit that worrying!!

One of my biggest downfalls my entire life has been that I worry. I know it is a sin to worry, and I confess this problem continually. But I seem to fall right back into that hole time and time again. I remember worrying as early as four years old that the police were going to come arrest me over an overdue cassette tape and book set borrowed from the public library. A few years later I held my breath waiting for a police officer to put my mom in handcuffs after a fender bender. (The accident wasn't even her fault.)

Needless to say, this problem has carried with me into adulthood. Most recently my worry involved a new summer job I took on at my local alma mater. I graduated several years ago as a physician assistant, and decided two years ago to stay home full time with my kids. Last fall I took on a small teaching job for the same PA program from which I graduated. I stressed each week because I wanted to do the best job I could. In the end, I had a lot of fun and was glad for the experience. So when the school called me in January this year asking if I'd instruct a summer class, I immediately said yes. Here is what I didn't take into consideration. In the fall semester, I was one of three instructors for the Gross Anatomy class, and my small part involved speaking for 20 minutes once a week in the back of a small dark room beside a projector. This time around I would be speaking for 90 minutes in the auditorium standing on a stage behind a podium and a microphone. Did I mention that public speaking makes my hands shake? My palms sweat? My heart race? My tongue dry and swell up?

Last week, the morning before my first lecture, I stood in the shower literally trying not to vomit. I felt so sick I was afraid I wouldn't even make it to the school. I finally pulled myself together and drove the 25 minutes to campus, shaking and praying the whole way. (Funny, I prayed that I would do well and know what to say, but I didn't pray for Him to take my fear away. You'd think I would have learned something about that in my past 20 odd years on this earth.)

When I got to the school, I saw a sign on the door that read "All classes previously scheduled in the auditorium will be held in Room 137 until further notice." I stopped and read it again slowly. A regular sized room without a stage... and no microphone! A smile crept up on my face and I almost squealed out loud for joy. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I repeated it the entire walk down the hallway into the classroom.

Another lesson learned: Do. Not. Worry!! Maybe this time I've learned this lesson for good. If not, I know and trust that His grace is sufficient, even for a repeat worrier like me.

Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Michelle. Sometimes is hard to know how not to worry. I have found that I have to replace my worry because it's not just going to go away. Why does God put up with our shinanagins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard not to be anxious about first-time things. I would love to hear you lecture. :) I'm sure you will do a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete