Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Eight Years and Counting

A couple days ago, Bill and I were talking about infidelity in marriages and the ways it tears families apart. Statistics show that Christian marriages are just as affected as non-Christian marriages, and that to me is scary. Later that day we went shopping with the kids, and as we were getting out of the car, Bill paused and asked if I remembered what we talked about earlier. When I said yes, he looked me in the eye and said, "Just know that I would never do that to you or to the kids." I already knew that, but to have him lock eyes with me and say it, meant so very much to me.

Neither one of us are perfect, and I'd be naive to think that our marriage is foolproof against adultery. Satan doesn't attack those that he already has a grip on- he goes after people he can bring down and ruin their testimony. Men and women of God need to be ever vigilant against such an attack. However, that being said, there is no excuse- sin is a choice by free will, and God always prepares a way of escape. I Corinthians 10:13 says "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." Bill and I have an agreement that if either one of us  were ever to become tempted in this area, we immediately talk about it and deal with it then, instead of allowing any opportunity for a thought to become more than just that. We have been faithful to each other for each year of our marriage and relationship, and as long as God stays in the center, we will continue on this same road.

Today Bill and I celebrate our eighth wedding anniversary. I am blessed with a hard working man who loves God, respects me, adores me, speaks kind words, is an ever-patient father, plays with our children, does not yell but disciplines them with patience and love, and wants the very best for our family. My dad has always told me that he and my mom pray daily for me, and I know that part of their answered prayers came in the form of my husband. I love you, sweetheart. I too wouldn't want to travel this journey with anyone else.







No comments:

Post a Comment