Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Stay-at-Home Misnomer

It's not too long ago that I spent days in a row couped up at home, never seeing the light of day, or at least not stepping out past the front yard. Stay-at-home mom meant just that for me: I stayed home, and occasionally lost a part of my sanity in the process. Then, about a year ago, all of that changed. Not only did I take on a part-time job, but my oldest daughter started kindergarten, my second oldest started all day preschool, and we also spent time in after-school activities, including ballet once a week. That's when it clicked and I understood what all those moms were whining about back when I longed for a life outside my house. I'm not sure which is the lesser evil- being caged up like an animal, or spending life out on the road bustling from one location to another. Let's just say, I'm ecstatic that summer has arrived.

I always said that I would never become that mom that lived out of her minivan, and I still hold to that promise. Number one, because I don't own a minivan, but number two- because I will continue to strive to find that balance between allowing my kids to have fun while not overloading their schedule. This will be even more of a challenge in a few more years, when all my children are old enough to be involved, but right now I'm living in the moment. And that means ballet once a week during school, and soccer in the spring and fall. Watching them dance like ballerinas and kick a soccer ball (occasionally even making it into the net) warms my heart like I never could have imagined before they were born. Seeing any other kid do the same activity is cute, but to see my own baby who I grew in my belly and gave birth to do the same exact thing- words can't describe how happy it makes me. Madeline made her one and only goal in soccer a few weeks ago, and I went nuts. Seriously, I screamed and jumped up and down like a complete lunatic before I gained my senses and sheepishly sat back down in my chair. The next week Amy was visiting, and overheard a dad say to the coach, "Remember last week when Madeline made a goal, and her whole family went crazy?" Yeah, the "whole family" reference meant me. Guess I left an impression.

It'll be Isaac's turn to join the lesson gammet this spring when I sign him up for soccer. In the meantime, my older two girls will be taking a one week session of tennis lessons (seriously, how cute will that be!) and swim lessons this summer, then resuming ballet in the fall. Maybe by then I'll convince my love that a soccer mom really does need a minivan to go along with the stereotype. (**wink**)

 While Brooke hustled the entire game, Madeline took frequent water breaks. She was the only kid out on the field that combined ballet and soccer while running. In her last game, Madeline kicked the ball ( a rare event) and another dad said, "Look at that smile! You would have thought she just won the World Cup." I love her passion!

 The cheering section. Lugging my kids and their stuff is a workout in itself.

 Purple soccer balls- who knew? Her shin guards are pink, even though you can't tell. Her pink cleats ended up being too small, but my friend Kelly gave me these black ones, so it worked out- thanks Kelly!
 Brooke LOVED soccer. She asked every day if she could go to practice, and was devastated if it was rained out. She is pretty talented too- she's all girl and all sports rolled up in one. She has her game face on the whole time- so adorable!

 Beautiful ballerinas!

                                                Dancing before practice started.
Madeline smiled at me the whole time this day, when she wasn't picking her nose or daydreaming off in space.

1 comment: