Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A House Built on the Rock- Day 3 (Vol 1, Unit 1, Chapter 1 Weaver)

We covered a new Bible lesson today from the book of Matthew, the parable of the house built on a rock and the house built on sand. 


Looking up Matthew 7. There are so many reasons why I love this picture.


After reading the parable, I gave them an illustration to better remember and understand the story.  Last night I glued a paper house to a cement block to represent the foundation on rock. We didn't have a bag of play sand, so Brooke scooped up some dirt for me to represent the less firm foundation.

Blowing over the house on "sand".

Trying to blow over the house on a rock. 


We discussed why both physical and spiritual foundations are so important, and then changed the topic over to the layers of the earth. I gave them three different colors of modeling clay, and they shaped each layer. Yellow for the earth's core, red for the mantle, and blue for the crust.

Model earths!

We then sliced each model earth in half with my cake level.

She was in awe. Too cute.

Lydia cut her earth model into about ten different pieces.

Is he handsome or what?

Meticulous.

This is her last day as a six year old. Craziness.

Some of today's notes.

We ended the day with a trip to the local library. We came home with several armloads of books, including two about Martin Luther King Jr. I wanted to honor the 50th anniversary of his great speech, so we read about his life and the legacy he left behind.The girls are in the school room writing about his life and speech in their creative writing journals as I finish up this blog post. 

Another great day under wraps. I'm still working on finding the right schedule. Last night I had a list of assignments for the girls to work on until I was ready to start teaching. Brooke and Madeline have been early birds lately, so they were able to work on their math, spelling, and penmanship while I was busy getting ready for the day. Isaac gets his reading lessons in the evening, because that's when he usually had them before school started. His math gets fit in whenever he's ready to sit still for a few minutes. He's constantly on the move and I'm trying not to be bothered by it. He soaks it all in though- I think he's not listening to me at all, and then all of a sudden he yells out an answer. Funny how that works. I'm really trying to stay flexible. It's all brand new territory- but we must be in a honeymoon period, because I still have the happy feelings nonstop.So far we're taking it in one day at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment