Friday, August 30, 2013

Sugar Cube Houses- Day 5 (Vol 1, Unit 1, Chapter 1 Weaver)

We were back to a normal schedule today. We started a new Bible lesson on Luke 14, the cost of building and the cost of discipleship.


We used sugar cubes for the Bible illustration. They were given 20 cubes and told to glue together a house.

Lydia had her own cubes and glue.

Building one wall. Only two cubes left.

 Their disappointed, pouty faces when I told them they ran out of cubes and had to stop building. Isaac was devastated.

Lydia was cool with it. She made a tower!

But wait! There's more! Now we realize that we have to calculate the cost and gather the materials we need. They had another chance to build, but this time with a better plan!

While they were building, I read portions from the book City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction by David Macaulay. We also talked about the cost of following Jesus, and what it means to die to self. I made sure to emphasize that even though we give up a lot of this world to follow Jesus, the reward and joy we receive in return is so much greater!

Fridays are planned out to be a big review day. Today while asking history and science questions from previous lessons, they would forget answers at times and need prompted. In the middle of this, I experienced my first panicky moments of "Am I doing this right? Am I doing a good job? Are they absorbing any of this? Am I screwing them up for life??" I'd expected these thoughts to come eventually, and I remembered each time to stop and pray as soon as the panic came. I know we are doing what God called us to do, and He's guiding us each day.

This weekend we're taking our first official field trip to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. One week in, and we are loving this homeschooling life!











No comments:

Post a Comment