Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sports Fanatics

Amy and I have a long history together. We've talked on the phone for approximately 1/5 of our lives, passed fascinating notes back and forth between classes, giggled until we've peed our pants (seriously; it just happened again today), and shared a strong passion for sports. It all started one year at the beach when we were teenagers. Amy didn't know how to swim, and though not professionally trained, I thought I would try to teach her. By the end of the week, she was able to stand in the four foot deep section without drowning. Here's my favorite picture of all that we accomplished that week.

Notice the quick reflexes to block any water from touching her face.

After high school, I decided to expand my love of sports to cross country. Not only did I find my future husband from the team, I was also able to earn $1000 in an athletic scholarship that year.
 
Look at that long, graceful stride. I'm so fast that those women in the background look like they are standing still.

After the season was over, I decided to take a well deserved break from sports for the next several years. Then this past March, while on a visit to Amy's house in Alabama, the two of us rediscovered our love of all things athletic. We were having so much fun, we had her husband Stephen document our skills.

We started the night with a little baseball.
I think I could have been a star quarterback if girls were allowed to play in school.
Amy has a dunk shot like no one else I know.
Wearing flip flops adds to the challenge. Seriously, try kicking a soccer ball in those shoes. It takes skills.
 I can't remember if there was any peeing in the pants in this moment. Safe guess says there was.

I love you, Amy. (Hopefully after this post, you still love me too.) I can't wait until next month when we get to share our love of all things athletic again. Let's hit up the local swimming pool; maybe we can find a professional to share his skills with us.

4 comments:

  1. You didn't post any pics of us playing lacrosse, hockey, volleyball, skeet shooting, or kickball. Why not? =) ha ha You are so funny! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie is JEALOUS of our skills! Obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete