Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Roller Coaster Buddies

Anyone who has been around me with one of my children in the infant stage knows I kiss them. A lot. Like several kisses in a row, several times a day. Seriously, no joke. I'm surprised their cheeks aren't permanently scarred from my repetitive smooches. Bill thinks it is ridiculous, but I tell him that one day they won't want me to kiss them at any given time of the day, so I need to get the kisses in now while I can. Isaac, my sweet boy who used to let me snuggle him for as long as I wanted, has now reached that stage I have dreaded; I ask him for a hug or a kiss, and he yells "NO!!", then giggles hysterically. The only time I can guarantee affection from him is if he is nervous out in public, or when I'm tucking him into bed.

On the other hand, there does happen to be one person in his life for who he willingly gives hugs and kisses any time he sees her- his baby sister Lydia. He has been infatuated with her ever since the day I brought her home from the hospital. Even though Isaac was furious with me for leaving home for two nights and ignored me the first few days, he never took it out on his baby sister. He immediately wanted to sit and cuddle her that first afternoon, staring at her the entire time. It is still absolutely precious to watch. Even five months later, when he sees me bring her into the room, he immediately runs up to hold her and kiss her. I am barely able to nurse Lydia without Isaac glued to my side. I am so happy he loves her so, especially because they will one day be roller coaster buddies. Brooke and Madeline are already established as best friends, and as much as they love their baby sister too, I'm afraid the age gap will have some effect. So I'm praying that Lydia and Isaac will develop a similar bond that my two oldest have, despite the gender differences. And maybe, one day soon, I'll benefit from as much affection he willingly offers his sister. In the meantime, I'll take what I can get.


2 comments:

  1. They LOOK alike in the last picture! He is so cute with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How SWEET! They DO look alike in the last pic. Age gap between Madeline and Lydia: 3 years and 4 months - that's not a WHOLE lot. Our 2 girls are 2 years and 5 months - and they are the best of friends. But, I can see Isaac & Lydia being roller-coaster buddies. :) What a time you guys will have. Enjoy EVERY SINGLE minute of it. Time does fly. :)

    ReplyDelete