Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Childhood Dreams Fulfilled

I'm running out of childhood dreams. Two out of three of my young daughters have their ears pierced before age 30, and they are both enjoying their ballet lessons. I now carry a pink Precious Moments Bible to church every Sunday, thanks to a Christmas gift from Amy. I'm sure that most people assume it's one of my girls', but nope, it's mine. (As I told Amy- I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ!) As for a shared childhood dream that Amy and I could be related, only time will tell- but let's just say there is definite  signs of potential chemistry between our beautiful children.

As for my most recent childhood dream fulfilled? It traces back to when my sister and I used to pour over the American Girl catalog and pretend we were shopping. We'd pick out our dolls, accessories, furniture, and clothes, and then add up the total. My favorite dolls were Samantha and Elizabeth. My mom bought us several of the books, and I would read them over and over again.

Then, a couple months ago, a catalog arrived in the mail. Brooke, Madeline, and I couldn't put it down. We picked out our favorite dolls and chose the cutest matching pajamas. As the girls played upstairs, I ordered their favorite dolls to arrive in time for Christmas. That evening, I showed Bill what I had ordered earlier that day, and then happened to casually mention in passing that my favorite doll growing up- Elizabeth- was being discontinued after December 31st (while supplies last.) I suggested that we buy it for Madeline. Bill said, "No- you bought her a doll already." What about Lydia? Bill asked if I would let her play with it. Well, no, not for a couple years. So, he said no to that too- we couldn't give her a gift and then tell her not to play with it. I suggested we buy her for Brooke's birthday. Again, no- she didn't need another doll just a few weeks later. I panicked a bit- I was running out of options. So, I said- what about for me? He looked at me like I was a loon. "For you?" Well yes, I'd let the girls play with her (if they promised to take care of her and not mess up her hair) but she would be mine. I even offered to return the Kitchen Aid mixer he bought for me, wrapped under the tree. Again, no. I was beyond disappointed, but I know my husband well enough to know when I've reached the point that a matter isn't worth discussing anymore.

Christmas morning, I was elated to give my girls their dolls. Madeline and I squealed with delight after she opened hers(wait- that was for her pillow pet...) We had opened all the gifts, when Bill reached under the tree and said, Hey- Santa left something for mommy. I wondered what in the world it would be, honestly having zero clue- I have to interject something real quick- up to this point Bill had never surprised me anything. I have a knack for figuring things like this out. I can even go to Hallmark and predict which card he will buy me. Back to the story- I ripped the paper off, and a beautiful blond doll was staring back up at me. I immediately choked up. I know- I'm a grown woman, and it's a doll, but my wonderful husband secretly ordered her, had her shipped across the street to our neighbor who wrapped it for him, and then he snuck it back over to our house Christmas Eve. Seriously, if that isn't romantic, I don't know what is. I am married to the best man in the world.


The girls play with Elizabeth and help me take care of her. At first I kept her in the master bedroom, until even I was creaped out by her constant presence in our room. So she now sleeps with Brooke and Madeline. I'm hoping that Julie and Kit will be able to join the group one day soon. Anyone want to hop a plane to New York City's AG store sometime?



No comments:

Post a Comment