Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Random Thoughts

I'm having writer's block tonight, but I don't want to ruin my running blogging streak, so I'm going to present some random thoughts floating around my brain tonight.

1. I am in love with Scrubbing Bubbles automatic shower cleaner. It used to take me an hour to deep-clean my bathroom (an improvement from the two hours it took during my pregnancy with Lydia) and this neat little invention cuts out about 20 minutes of that time. I am a tad disappointed that there are just normal soap bubbles and not the cute cartoon ones from the commercial.
2. If you make dinner that includes crescent rolls, children will gobble it all up with no complaints. You can make crescent pizza, crescent dogs, and crescent mexican rolls. I've never tried the generic brand- are they just as good as Pillsbury?

3. I am determined that by January 2012, I will be making nearly everything homemade, and buying nothing prepackaged or processed- all the way down to no more boxed cereal or pasta. (Which creates a dilemma for random thought #2.) I'm taking it step by step- if I do too much at  once, I'm afraid I'll just give up. My plan is to eventually take one day out of each week and spend the entire day cooking/baking/freezing, so all the week's meals are ready to go. I'm getting some great tips from the book Miserly Moms.

4. I have a secret that I'll finally be able to reveal in a few days, but I'm ready to burst in the meantime. And no, I'm not pregnant. And neither is my sister.

5. When I think toward the future, I don't get nearly as sad thinking of my daughters growing up as I do when I think of my son as an adult. I know my girls will always need me for "girl talk", but what if Isaac decides he doesn't need me? Bill says that is ridiculous, and deep down I know he's right. I won't be the type of mother in law who believes her daughter in law has stolen her son (frankly, that is just gross if you really think about it) but I do hope he will always want to be a part of my life. I pray for my children's future spouses all the time, and I'm doing my best to raise him to be the best husband and father he can be.

6. I'm just days/weeks away from weaning Lydia. (She doesn't know this yet; Bill asked who was going to let her know, and I told him he could.) I say all the time how I'm just ready to be done with it, but a small part of me knows how much I will miss that piece of our relationship. It's something only the two of us share, and there's really nothing else like it.

7. Nearly every Sunday I have someone ask me how in the world I manage to get all the kids ready and out the door- the question is raised more so if Bill happens to be at work that day. In a nutshell: 1. I give all glory to God because without Him I would be a crazy loon. 2. The girls pick out their own outfits and dress themselves. This is a mixed blessing in that I never know what they will come up with. Also, showers are always done the night before. 3. Isaac doesn't usually care what he wears, and I can dress him in a minute flat. His hair is kept short enough I don't have to do anything with it. 4. The kids watch an episode of a tv show while I shower/dress/makeup/hair. I have it down to a science, and yes, can accomplish it all in a half hour. 5. Breakfast is kept simple, and no fooling around allowed. Each child cleans up their own dishes and wipes down their part of the table. 6. In the last 15 minutes before we are out the door, I wake up Lydia, dress her, nurse her, and feed her cereal. She eats fast. While she is eating her cereal, the older three get on their coats and shoes, and get inside the car. The entire process is like a well oiled machine.

I think that's enough random babbling. If you have an idea for a next blog post, please tell me. Tomorrow is another snow day, so I hope my kids say or do something clever.

3 comments:

  1. We are thankful for our 3 daughters-in-law, who are blessings to our family. This also goes for our 2 sons-in-law. What a joy to have such a large, loving family. :) There's nothing like it! :)

    ReplyDelete