Thursday, July 1, 2010

Painful Miscommunication

Over the past few weeks, flowering weeds have overtaken our front yard. Bill is usually in charge of the "outside things", but lately his time has been consumed with building our backyard deck. So, last night we had a discussion in which I told him that  it really bothered me that the front yard didn't look as nice as it could, and I asked what we could do about it. After a 2 minute discussion, I walked away with this conclusion: that there was some expensive yard feed we could buy, but his preferred method would be to hand-weed the yard.

Waking up motivated this morning, I took all four kids outside at 8am so I could get started. In nearly five hours I only stopped to feed Lydia and lay her down for a nap. Brooke would make quick runs inside the house for snacks and drinks. Ironically, during this time the neighbor's lawn service came to maintain a beautiful picture perfect yard. I came very close to walking across the driveway and hiring him on the spot, but instead I buckled down and kept right on, one weed at a time. I finally had to quit for a break and feed my hungry children at 12:45pm. Here is what I was able to accomplish in that amount of time.
Not too bad, right? Especially considering the lawn is less than a year old.

Now here is what is left untouched thus far in the front yard:
According to my own estimates, this leaves about, oh...another 10 hours of physical labor. Though patience is something I struggle with, I tried not to be frustrated, and instead happy with the progress I'd made while simulaneously entertaining four children. I even sucked up the fact that my fingers were red,swollen, and throbbing, and that I had small cuts and a painful rash all over my forearms. Yes, I had worked hard and should be proud of myself. Then, I had a conversation with my love. And I tiredly told him what I did this morning. And his response? "Oh, did you not want to buy the lawn feed?" what did he just SAY?? Seriously? Did I just waste nearly five hours outside for nothing? Apparently, even after nearly twelve years together, and seven wonderful years of marriage, we had two completely different conversations yesterday. He re-explained that he was actually fine with buying lawn feed, but that he had just made a comment that if I wanted immediate results (he knows me well) that the only solution was to hand weed. Bill reassured me that my work wasn't necessarily for nothing, but my balloon of motivation was already leaking air. Fast.

I don't know if this job will be completed or not. I'm all for some good exercise, but back-breaking outdoor work isn't usually my preferred way of spending my time. At any rate- we are on our way to a good-looking lawn, sooner or later. Now it's time for a hot shower before one of my angels wakes up from a peaceful napping slumber. Does anyone have any Icy Hot by chance?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. What an adventure. Get out the Icy Hot - and GO BUY SOME LAWN FEED. It wasn't for nothing -- nothing is for nothing -- you learned something -- I'm not sure what, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. ;)

    ReplyDelete